Why the server is dead: a TED Talk

plokmju

Jul 3, 2020
Minecraft
plokmju
Hello all! I'm sure some of you have seen me in game, some of you may not have. I am self-employed with a moderate amount of dev experience, a huge amount of minecraft experience, and knack for making things better.

That being said, I have stupid amounts of free time (at the moment) and would like to see one of my favorite servers doing better. Aside from all of the other (awesome) suggestions, I'd like to make a couple separate ones with reasoning.

Issue 1: PMC
Short and sweet - You can't vote for us on Planet Minecraft, the largest and most active minecraft server catalog to date.

Solution: Get us on Planet Minecraft!​

Issue 2: Dead Content
The server doesn't need to be 'overflowing' with content, but an engaging & sustainable server has a diverse array of things to do. Right now, players are severely restricted in terms of content, and 'grindy' is no longer trendy enough to survive on. There are three main blocks of content on the server:​

1. PVP
PVP is perhaps the largest draw to any minecraft server, but strictly relies on player count. Any reliance on PVP to keep the server going is unsustainable if player count is not consistently high enough. The amount of safe/not safe zones is great and evenly balanced I believe, but the incentive to pvp just doesn't exist.​

2. Grinding
Mining / Wood Cutting / Mob Killing / whatever you wanna call it. This is (I would argue) THE biggest draw to this server, but as mentioned before, we are targeting a much smaller market share than what it used to be. See next point:​

3. Parkour
Also not as popular anymore. It's assumed that every server will have parkour because it's a great time killer when bored, but when you're three biggest selling points on a server are either not currently popular or offered by every other server, what is the server really worth?​

If we're really pushing the roleplaying/grind aspect, there should be more roleplaying/grind to choose from! Let's explore almost-dead content that, when improved, could give more reason to play:​

1. Fishing
Born in B, dead in B. Cooked fish is not a viable source of food, selling fish is not a viable source of money, what can be done?​

Solution: Enable key drops from fishing, restrict loot table to control enchanted book drops & re-enable anvils. "But that makes the server too easy to kill guards!" No it doesn't and you're dumb. Any problem fixed by disabling the feature is lazy. Increase XP cost of combining! Prevent all offensive books! Limit max levels! F3 is currently unattainable, so why aren't we doing more?​

2. Farming
Oh, what used to be a prisoners first love, has been gutted and discarded. Another case of "too hard to fix, so take it out". Hoppers disabled, pistons cannot push blocks so most automation is disabled. Literally nobody enjoys farming on minecraft, so why take away the one thing that makes is tolerable?​

Solution: Re-enable hoppers & piston pushing. "Players abuse this!" Fix it then! If the economy grows too quickly due to automated farms, prevent crafting of hoppers and make the key-exclusive drops. Bingo. "What about pistons?!" Same thing, make them harder to get and ban trapping. Farms do not run away players.​

3. Spleef
Let's talk about economies in general. I'm sure you all know how inflation works as it has been a problem in the past on this (and every other) server, but can it be fixed? Yes! In addition to preventative maintenance, you can actually ADD (not take away) content to reduce the maximum amount of money on the server. "We know, we hate lottery tax" too small, if I can't nickel and dime my first mining trip away just exploring the server something is wrong. This isn't just a matter of distracting players, it's a matter of balancing the economy. Let me pay to play spleef!​

4. Commerce
What? How is this dead? Let me explain about a small thing that destroys servers called "Plot Permanence". When a player (or group) buys a courtyard plot, they naturally want to keep it forever (as it is stupid expensive [not really, pricing rocks]). THIS DRIVES NEW PLAYERS AWAY FROM THE SERVER. How so? Active courtyard plots with engaging shops are great for the economy and for player count, but what about private/ugly plots? Having a quality requirement would be a fix (albeit a dumb one), but let's see if we can figure out a better one. We need to suck money out of players while preventing hoarding plots.​

Solution: Plot taxes. Plots must now be paid once per month in order to use. Plots that don't pay have their plot locked until current, unless they are 2 months behind in which place plot is public again. Inflation and plot permanence fixed! This will also prevent hoarding plots for farms unless your farms are actually profitable.​

5. Plugins
Ooh boy, this is a doozy. Plugins are super outdated now and some don't work or are VERY user unfriendly. Most /help screens don't list all of the commands and don't provide any indication on where to find info about the plugin.​

Solution: In addition to fixing (or replacing) existing plugins, let's look at some new ones! The server should never feel "empty" even if there's no one on. The chat feels active, but why not add some fake guards? Most other servers have at least the founders or high players visible and partially interactable, why don't we?​

I understand that these are not the only problems plaguing the server, but I feel like these are the most significant. I'd love to contribute technically in any way possible (coding experience + quick learner), but even without that I hope that this outline and reasoning makes sense and draws attention to areas that need improvement.

Thank you to everyone who makes the server possible, and I hope to see more players soon!

XinZ

Mar 20, 2020
Minecraft
XinZ
How about all the stuff when I played, that I warned about... got banned. No doozy, look at the shit hole that spawned from that.

I only spoke the truth. lmao XD XD ROFL LOL LMFAO ROFL.

Heil NASA, dumb ass minecraft players couldn't understand when I called out incredibly shitty ass poor management. Live and you learn... oh wait, you guys dont learn, and you live on minecraft. ROFL SXDXD XD LMAO ROFL

LocalSavageBob

Supreme Overlord
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 20, 2020
USA
Minecraft
LocalSavageBob
Thanks for the post and suggestions. I'm going to respond to some issues below.

Issue 1: Our server is on Planet Minecraft. The reason voting does not work is because of the DDoS protection service we use. It causes Planet Minecraft to ping our server as offline. This issue has been reported to PMC and I opened a help ticket with them myself. They told me a lot of servers use the software we use, and they are working on a fix. This issue has only happened recently. Because of this, I don't bother bumping the server even because people will not join a server that appears as being offline. Voting also doesn't work because of it. It's an issue known with the site and they are working on it (at least according to the response they gave me).

Issue 2:I agree.

Good idea for fishing. Instead of just key drops, I can also add custom fishing items as well so you don't have to go and use the crate every time. Items could be drugs, slimeballs, snow, etc. I'm open to suggestions.

Farming: Players were given the choice to remove hoppers/pistons effective after the recent reset and most were in favor of it. I removed them. Pistons I could see coming back but hoppers were removed because furnaces store an unlimited amount of XP. This allowed players to get huge amounts of XP from AFK farms. In Spigot/Bukkit there is no way to limit the amount of XP a furnace can store as of 1.13.2. I tried, asked around, hit up md_5. Only option was to disable furnace XP altogether which we did for a while and nobody was a fan of that.

Spleef: Spleef plugin broke in 1.13.2. There is no Spleef plugin that compares to the one we had. None I find allow arenas to have a set cost to join, and then disperse the winnings among all players. I could probably just update the old Spleef plugin myself but I've been busy lately and in my opinion there are more important things to fix right now than Spleef. I agree though, it needs to be working sooner rather than later.

Plot taxes: good idea. Easy to implement.

Plugins: All plugins work and as far as I know none are outdated? What help screens are you trying to use? Nobody has reported to me that some of them don't display all of the commands so I'm interested in knowing which ones don't. I can't fix something I do not know is a problem. Also you can do /[TAB] and it shows all commands you have permission to. Not subcommands though.

Overall I really appreciate your feedback. I haven't been on as much because my online summer course runs from June 8-July 17. I try and find time in between to manage the server but it isn't always easy, and HalMoores (other owner) cut all of his fingers pretty badly in an accident and can't use a keyboard. I'll try and address some of these things as soon as possible. Sorry if I let any of you down lately.

plokmju

Jul 3, 2020
Minecraft
plokmju
I appreciate the quick response! Sorry if I came off aggressive - I've passed suggestions to fellow players and was lead to believe I wouldn't be responded too/would be dismissed.

Fishing
I think ice & and bottles (experience/use speed) would be great. To balance, water would have to not be limitless and new source blocks can't be created. This would make water a rare but attainable (and not abusable) resource, while the enchanting bottles would lessen the players interest in furnace abuse. To balance this though, I would assume the experience on fishing bottles would need to be significantly reduced. short use speed potions would be great too if that's possible, providing a minor buff to mining speed and wood chopping for a short period (2:30 maybe)? They would be moderately rare though and fit will with the current restrictions on enchantments I believe.​

Farming
The furnace problem does seem significant and I know understand that it was dealt with accordingly, but I'd love to make more suggestions if you don't mind! Instead of limiting the amount of experience on a furnace, can you limit how it interacts with hoppers? I believe that hoppers INTO furnace wouldn't cause any issues as the player would have to pull out each stack. Is it possible to change how hoppers interact with blocks and prevent them from pulling from furnaces?​

Spleef
Haven't built any plugins, but if you'd like some help I'd be happy to take a crack at making repairs! Very excited to play whenever that may be either way :)

Plugins
I was pretty vague in my post, so I'll expand on what I've personally encountered.

1. Gangs
- No indication of what gang levels do or how much any level aside from the one directly above you costs.
- No indication of what gang homes exist, if any
- No indication in-game of another gang member. You can't damage them which rocks but a highlighted name tag would be great (like guards)​

2. Plots / Cells
- 'Auto sells after 30 days of inactivity' probably a great and useful feature, but could use some more explaining. After the owner is inactive for 30 days? after all plot owners are inactive for 30 days?
- No way to sell cells. Likely for good reason, although the text is misleading on plot info (unrenting payback: $0 leads me to believe i can unrent).​

3. Quests
- Shank a Prisoner quest is unattainable unless your a guard. Even if the quest isn't changed, the description should indicate this.
Thank you again for you quick and thoughtful reply! I've very sorry to here about HalMoores and wish him a speedy recovery. I also wish you luck in your online course! I don't (and I'm sure noone else) expects you to be available 24/7 for everything, so we appreciate the time you do spend :)

LocalSavageBob

Supreme Overlord
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 20, 2020
USA
Minecraft
LocalSavageBob
The furnace abuse thing wouldn't work :( You can have a hopper connected to the bottom of a furnace and funnel the furnace items into a chest. With that said, that means every stack you retrieve from the furnace allows you to get all of the XP of the previous stacks that went through it.

I'll make the gang help page link to this useful page on the forums. I'll also clarify more by what 30 days of inactivity means haha. I'll also just remove the text for unrenting cells, that is only there to help me when I am unrenting someone's cell. I'll also just add more clarification for the quest.

All of these are on top of what I said as my first reply to the original grievances you had.